Director of the Innovation Center Telehealth Technologies
The major research interests of Jörg Caumanns are on platforms and solutions for cross-enterprise health data sharing, with a strong focus on issues related to patient privacy, data security and semantic interoperability. Jörg Caumanns is member of IHE International and the co-editor of an IHE White Paper (Access Control) and an IHE Profile (Cross-Community Fetch). He is technical coordinator of the “electronic CaseRecords (eCR/EFA)” initiative and had been the work package leader for the epSOS architecture, design and technical specifications.
- since 2016 Head of Innovation Center »Telehealth Technologies« at Fraunhofer FOKUS
- 2012-2016 Head of Competence Center E-HEALTH at Fraunhofer FOKUS
- 2007-2011 Head of Department »Secure Business-IT Infrastructures« at Fraunhofer ISST Berlin
- 2004-2005 Team Leader »IT-Infrastructure Modelling« at Fraunhofer ISST Berlin
- 2001-2003 Head of Department »Learning Technologies« at Fraunhofer ISST Berlin
- 2000-ongoing Research associate at Fraunhofer FOKUS (formerly: Fraunhofer ISST Berlin)
- 2000 Promotion as Dr. rer. nat. at Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus
- 1997-2000 Member of Berlin-Brandenburger Graduate School »Distributed Informationsystems«
- 1994-1999 Research associate at Department of Economy at Free University of Berlin
- 1994 Software Deveoper at Teles AG Berlin
- 1991-1994 Studies of Computer Science at Technical University Berlin (Grade: Diploma)
Selected Papers and Lectures
- Caumanns J (2016) Digital Health in Germany – Opportunities and Obstacles. Alberta-Germany eHealth Symposium. Edmonton, 27.01.2016
- Caumanns J (2015) Security Design Pattern for eHealth Platforms. eHealth Summit Austria. Wien, 18.06.2016.
- Rode O., Kraufmann B., Billig A., Caumanns J., Benzler J., Steffan D (2015) Case Study on FHIR and CTS2: The German Reporting System for Infectious Diseases. Medical Informatics Europe MIE 2015. Madrid, 29.05.2015.
- Caumanns J. (2015) Intraoperabel bleiben! E-health-com Nr. 06/15, S. 45-48
- Caumanns J (2013) Datenschutz und Datennutz bei elektronischen Patientenakten. Datenschutz und Datensicherheit 37 (2013), Nr.3, S.137-142
- Caumanns J., von Schwanenflügel M. (2013) Feasibility Study on Interoperability for German Healthcare IT. OMG Technical Meeting. Berlin, 17.06.13.
- Caumanns J. (2013) Interoperability vs Healthcare-IT. Workshop: How to bring IT to Meaningful Use? New Orleans, 05.03.13.
- Caumanns J., Brandner R. (2012) EFA on Top of IHE Profiles. HL7/IHE Germany Annual Conference. Göttingen, 25.10.2012.
- Caumanns J. (2012) Health Record Architectures in Germany. IHE/HL7-Kongress “Architektuur in de Zorg” (Keynote). Utrecht, 21.06.2012.
- Caumanns J. (2012) RLUS-based Health Record Architectures. HL7 Italy Open Days (Keynote). Rom, 07.06.2012.
- Caumanns J., Bittins S., Masi M. (2011) IHE Profile „Cross-Community Fetch“. IHE International. 2011.
- Caumanns J., Rode O., Kuhlisch R. (2011) RLUS and SOA Security. OMG Conference on SOA in Healthcare. Richmond, 14.07.2011.
- Caumanns J., Kuhlisch R., Pfaff O., Rode O. (2009) IHE White Paper „Access Control“. IHE International. 2009.
- Caumanns J. (2008) Identity and Access Management in the Context of the Electronic Case Records. European Identity Conference. 24.4.08. München.
- Boehm O, Caumanns J, Franke M, Pfaff O (2008) Federated Authentication and Authorization: A Case Study. In Proc. 12th IEEE International EDOC Conference. 16.8.08. München. pp 356-362
Selected Project Participations
- Feasibility study on interoperability in the German healthcare system
o Analysis of international best practices and obstacles in Germany
o Elaboration of recommendations for the German Federal Ministry of Health
- Architecture, security and performance review for the Austrian national electronic health record infrastructure (ELGA GmbH)
o Review of the complete ELGA technical specification
o Assessments of the solution’s maturity and readiness for roll-out
- European Patients Smart Open Services (epSOS): Design, specification and piloting of a gateway infrastructure for the secure and semantics-aware bridging of existing healthcare-IT infrastructures in Europe (European Commission)
o Work package leader „Architecture and Design (WP3.A)“
o Work package leader “Common Components Specification (WP3.4)”
- R&D Prototype for a German National Personal Health Record Infrastructure: Design, specification, prototype implementation and piloting of an PHR according to German regulatory requirements (German Ministry of Health)
o Project Coordinator
o Design of the Conceptual Framework
- Electronic Case Records (eCR): Design, specification, prototype implementation and rollout of a data sharing platform for regional healthcare provider networks (eCR Association, private hospital chains)
o Technical coordinator
o Editor of several of the eCR technical specifications
- German National Infrastructure for the Reporting of Infectious Diseases: Design, specification, prototype implementation and user testing of an interoperable infrastructure for an efficient exchange of information among care providers, laboratories and public health agancies (German Ministry of Health)
o Security Assessment and Security Concept
o Assessment of standards