Present apps bigger and focused on secondary screens.
- Example: share media conveniently on big TV screens rather than just on the smartphone. (media sharing use cases)
Extend the reach of apps to show more content on different screens.
- Example: enrich a gaming experience with near screen controller mutually connected to a big screen. (gaming use cases)
Arrange and distribute apps with computational and visual parts presented on different screens as desired.
- Example: work on a document using one screen, hand over to another screen or even continue to collaborate on a shared screen. (productivity use cases)
Features and Assets
- Discovery of devices and services using SSDP, mDNS/DNS-SD or a central registry
- Launch of apps on remote displays or devices using DIAL (Discovery And Launch)
- Mirror apps to other screens so that multiple screens showing the same or supplementary content using Miracast and Airplay
- Extend apps to other screens so that multiple screens may show adapted or different content using the W3C Second Screen Presentation API or HbbTV 2.0 Companion Screen API
- Supporting physical displays like TVs or TV Pluggable devices (e.g. Chromecast, Miracast Dongles, AppleTV, Android Sticks, etc.), or virtual displays (apps acting as displays)
- Content and Media Synchronization across devices
- Synchronization of app state across multiple devices
- Enable apps running on different devices communicating either directly (peer-to-peer) using WebRTC or indirectly (via a messaging server) using WebSockets or XHR
FAMIUM offers implementations for the key multiscreen features listed above. A selection of the FAMIUM Multiscreen components is even published under a permissive open source license.
- DIAL: FAMIUM offers Sever and Client Implementations of the Discovery and Launch Protocol DIAL for Desktop Platforms as Node.js module as well as for Android and iOS.
- FAMIUM Backend Stack: Tool set of microservices for common multiscreen tasks enabling and supporting use cases across different platforms and networks.
If you would like to get deeper insights into multiscreen technologies ask for our training and tutorial sessions regarding multiscreen app concepts, challenges and development. If you would like to make your hardware multiscreen compatible we can support you with integrating your devices. If you would like to see how your apps or ideas feel in a multiscreen world you may be interested in our multiscreen playground. If you have any questions about distributed apps or in particular about the multiscreen world - FAMIUM Multiscreen has the right answers.